listbuilder

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Five Tips For Getting Unstuck and Start Living Your Life on Purpose

Five Tips For Getting Unstuck and Start Living Your Life on Purpose

I have been fortunate in my life to have gone to college and have gotten several interesting jobs that have helped me to grow as a person. I began at the age of 16 as a waitress in the local café where my training began on customer service. Yep, you got it as it was not the easy way to learn that technique! However, after going to college my jobs were far more fun and interesting. I taught in a private all girls' school. I was a naturalist for the Audubon Society and taught people about the natural history in Massachusetts. I was a program director at a 4-H environmental camp for kids ages 4-18. Then I became an Executive Director of a similar camp. I thought I had made it to my dream job. Then as the politics got tougher and I realized I was more of a people person, I switched to public school teaching. It paid more money, had great benefits and I was a role model for young adults once again. Again, I thought that this was my dream job. For 13 years it was great and then I hit the mental plateau!
You see, most people are not aware that they are stuck in a rut until they are in deep. That is because we all follow our default settings or repetitive patterns on autopilot. We began to ask questions like "Is this as good as it gets?" By the way, everyone has been stuck at some point in their life especially if you are over 40! You can be stuck in a job, stuck in a relationship, stuck in your business, stuck in your fitness routine or day to day activities.
Why are you stuck? You are stuck because you are not aware of your default settings. You might be stuck because you don't want to change and you like your comfort zone. That's why people stay in bad relationships, bad jobs and bad habits. So, once you are aware you are stuck (and you are aware since you reading this article), then here are five tips to gettingunstuck and start living your life on purpose.
TIP 1: Change one thing
Albert Einstein defines Insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. This means that you are deeply engulfed in repetitive bad habits or what I call your default settings. So, start by doing baby steps and change just one thing. Perhaps you want to walk every day for 15 minutes. You can make time for you even if it is 10 minutes a day. If you always come home after work and watch TV, try taking a walk or reading an inspirational book. If you always eat lunch with your co-workers, go for a walk at lunch time twice a week. Other things you could do include scheduling a massage, taking a hot bath, doing yoga or anything else to invest in you. Remember, just change one thing to start your journey to a life of purpose and passion.
Tip 2: Live in the Now
Have you ever driven somewhere but you don't know how you got there? Many times you get lost in your thoughts and go on autopilot. Tomorrow when you drive to work instead of going on autopilot, notice 5 new things along the way. It takes energy to be in the moment but the good news is that it creates energy too!
Tip 3: Think of a time in your life when you were successful and happy. How did you feel? See if you can recreate those feelings by remembering one or two things that contributed to that success. Chances are you were not in your 'default settings'. You took a chance, a risk, and guess what? You were happy and successful. You might not be able to create the entire situation, but remember as much as you can and what it felt like to be successful.
Tip 4: "Attention Goes Where Energy Flows"
Quantum physicists state that everything is energy. My coach Christine Kane says that "Energy Flows where Attention Goes." It is the Law of Attraction. Remember Like Attracts Like. What you focus on expands. Whenever you catch yourself in moments of lack thoughts such as "I don't have enough" "I am not good enough" "I am not smart enough" then shift your attention to what you DO want. A baby step to get to that point is "wouldn't it be nice if I had a new car?" "Wouldn't it be nice if my husband cooked dinner tonight?" "Wouldn't it be nice if the kids got along tonight?" Focus on more of what you want in your life instead of what you don't want.
Tip 5: Write a powerful Intention
Research shows that by writing something down, the actual motion of your hand engages your brain in deeper learning. Also, your voice is very powerful so by reading out loud will engage your brain as well. This will help you focus on positive things for your life. An intention is defined by Wayne Dyer as a field of energy that you can access to begin co-creating your life with the power of intention. Most of us say things like "I am feeling insane for quitting a great job with benefits to start a business. Please help me not to be a failure."
This is not strong and does not serve our intention to attract positive things. A more powerful intention would be "I intend success and prosperity as I begin a new exciting path in my life." This puts you in a mindset to see more opportunities and take action steps to a moresuccessful life.
So, when you realize you are stuck in a rut, don't look outside yourself for the answer. It starts with you. Follow these five steps and you will be amazed at what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment